Beef stroganoff is a retro dish but a real favourite. Creamy and fragrant, it’s ready in just 30 minutes and you can even freeze a whole batch.
This delicious beef stroganoff dish is a main dish that is filling and packs a punch thanks to the paprika and Dijon mustard we’ve added.
- 1tbsp olive oil
- 400g beef rump or fillet, sliced into 1cm-thick strips
- 300g small chestnut mushrooms, sliced
- 15g butter
- 3 large shallots, chopped
- 1tbsp plain flour, seasoned
- 2tsp paprika, plus a little extra, to serve
- 300ml beef stock
- 1tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1tbsp tomato purée
- 4tbsp crème fraîche
- Heat the oil in a sauté pan until hot, then brown the beef in batches. Set aside. Add the mushrooms and sauté until cooked. Set aside. Melt the butter and cook the shallots until softened.
- Now stir in the flour and paprika and cook for 1-2 minutes, then add the stock, mustard and purée. Stir well – whisk if there are any small lumps. Taste the sauce for seasoning then return the beef and mushrooms to the pan. Stir in the crème fraîche and sprinkle with paprika. This is lovely served with traditional spätzle or buttered noodles.
Top Tip for making Beef Stroganoff: To freeze, freeze the completed dish then thaw in the fridge overnight before reheating thoroughly.
woman&home has a brand new attitude and offers irresistible inspiration each and every month to our audience. The brand believes that it’s attitude, not age, that matters and we speak to women in a conversational, empowering, inspirational, fun and friendly tone.