This baked stuffed tomatoes recipe makes a really great lunch served with a green salad.
- 4 medium vine tomatoes, approx 125g each
- 75g long grain and wild rice
- 2tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2tsp tomato purée
- 25g pine nuts, toasted
- 25g currants
- 1tbsp mint, finely chopped
- 1tbsp flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- Pinch ground cinnamon
- Slice the tops off each tomato to create a lid about 1cm thick, and set aside. Remove the pulp, roughly chop and set aside. Salt the inside of each tomato then set upside down on a wire rack to drain. Cook the rice according to the packet instructions, drain and set aside.
- Heat 1tbsp olive oil in a small saucepan and sweat the onion for 5 minutes until soft. Add the garlic and cook for a further minute. Add the tomato purée and the tomato pulp, season with salt and pepper and cook for 10 minutes until reduced and thick. Remove from the heat, stir in the cooked rice, pine nuts, currants, mint, parsley and cinnamon. Stir well and adjust the seasoning, if necessary.
- Heat oven to 190C, gas 5. Lightly oil a baking dish that will hold the tomatoes snugly. Pack the tomatoes with the filling. Replace the tomato lids, drizzle with the remaining oil and bake for 25 minutes.
Top Tip for making Baked Stuffed Tomatoes: You can prepare the tomatoes the day before. Bring them to room temperature before baking. The tomatoes can be served warm.
woman&home has a brand new attitude and offers irresistible inspiration each and every month to our audience. The brand believes that it’s attitude, not age, that matters and we speak to women in a conversational, empowering, inspirational, fun and friendly tone.