Aubergine parmigianaPrint This
- 1 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for griddling the aubergines
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 300ml (1/2pt) vegetable stock
- 2tbsp tomato purée
- 1tsp Balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- Pinch of sugar
- 3/4 tsp dried oregano
- 3 large aubergines, thinly sliced
- 1tbsp breadcrumbs
- You will need:
- 30x23cm (12x9in) deep rectangular ovenproof dish
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over a medium-high heat. Sauté the onion for 3 or 4 minutes, or until lightly browned. Add the garlic and cook for a further minute. Add the tomatoes, stock, tomato purée, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, sugar and oregano. Bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer to cook gently, uncovered for 30 minutes. Season well.
- Heat the oven to 180C, 160C fan, gas 4. Heat a griddle pan to hot, brush the aubergine slices lightly with olive oil and griddle on each side until browned. Set them aside.
- Cover the base of the dish with a third of the aubergine slices, sprinkle a third of the Parmesan over, top with a third of the mozzarella then spread a third of the tomato sauce over. Repeat this twice with the remaining ingredients and top with the breadcrumbs. Bake for 40 minutes or until browned. Serve with a crunchy green salad.