- 650g asparagus spears, hard ends trimmed off
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- 150g mascarpone
- 320g sheet ready-rolled puff pasty
- 25g Gruyère cheese, finely grated
- Heat the oven to 220C, 200C fan, gas 7. Blanch the asparagus for 3 minutes then place under cold running water to cool. Cut the spears to around 16cm. Roughly chop the trimmings and blend in a food processor with the lemon juice and 1 tbsp of the mascarpone. Season well, stir in the remaining mascarpone until smooth and set aside.
- Line a baking sheet with baking parchment, then roll out the pastry on to it. With a flat-bladed knife, mark out a 2cm border around the edge. Spread the mascarpone mix evenly within the marked border. Place the asparagus spears on top of the mascarpone mix in a tightly packed row, sprinkle over the Gruyère and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until the pastry is crisp and golden. Serve hot from the oven or at room temperature with a crispy salad.