- 300g puff pastry (one medium packet)
- 200g pack of asparagus tips (approx 20 spears)
- 110g pack of fine asparagus (approx. 20 thin spears)
- 60g grated gruyere
- 30g grated pecorino
- 30g toasted flaked almonds
- 1 lemon, to squeeze & zest
- 1 egg for brushing
- Pinch flour
- 1tbsp Olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 180C, Gas 4. Unroll the pastry onto lightly floured baking parchment and roll into a rectangle, about 3,2 mm thin. Place on a baking tray with its paper underneath. Score a 1.5 cm wide ‘frame’ all around the edge of the rectangle, taking care not to cut all the way through. Prick the inner rectangle all over with a fork.
- Beat together the egg yolk with 1 tablespoon water to create an egg wash and brush the pastry frame with it. Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until a light golden brown. Leave to cool.
- Meanwhile blanch the asparagus in boiling water for 2 minutes, then refresh under cold. Put in a bowl, season, then toss with 1tsp lemon zest, oil and a squeeze of lemon juice too.
- Sprinkle the gruyere and ¾ of the pecorino inside the pastry frame, avoiding the border. Top with the asparagus, neatly laid, and bake in the oven for 15 minutes until the asparagus has started to brown. Finish with more cheese, more zest and the almonds.
Top Tip: For more squidge and less crunch, throw some ricotta in too.