- 400g caster sugar
- 75g whole blanched almonds, roughly chopped
- 70g pkt sour cherries
- 200g chocolate, roughly chopped
- You will need
- a small baking tin approx 20x25x4cm lightly oiled
- Scatter the almonds and cherries evenly over the base of the oiled baking tin.
- Place the caster sugar and 150ml water in a large, heavy based saucepan over a low heat. Allow the sugar to dissolve but do not stir the mixture, just swirl the pan. Increase the heat and cook until the sugar turns a rich amber colour, carefully swirling the pan to obtain an even colour. Pour the hot caramel evenly over the almonds and cherries and set aside until cold and set. Do not refrigerate.
- Melt the chocolate in a small heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water. Remove from the heat, stir until smooth then pour evenly over the toffee mixture, spreading with a palette knife if necessary. Leave for two hours or until set. Using a sharp knife break into rough pieces to serve.