- 255g uncooked pasta (use gluten-free, if desired)
- 1 to 2 cloves garlic, to taste
- 60ml fresh basil leaves, plus more for serving
- 20-30ml fresh lemon juice, to taste
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 ripe medium avocado, pitted
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon fine-grain sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- drizzle of lemon zest, for serving
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the pasta according to the instructions on the package.
- While the pasta cooks, make the sauce. In a food processor, combine the garlic and basil and pulse to mince.
- Add the lemon juice, oil, avocado flesh, and 1 tablespoon of water and process until smooth, stopping to scrape down the bowl as needed. If the sauce is too thick, add another 1 tablespoon of water. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Drain the pasta and place it back in the pot. Add the avocado sauce and stir until combined. You can gently rewarm the pasta if it has cooled slightly, or simply serve it at room temperature.
- Top with lemon zest, pepper, and fresh basil leaves.
Top tip: Because avocados oxidise quickly after you slice them, this sauce is best served immediately. If you do have leftover sauce, transfer it to an airtight container and refrigerate for up to one day.