A great recipe if you're trying to lower your carb intake
- ¼ cup Canola oil
- 2 whole star anise
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 5 kg lean beef mince
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped garlic
- 2 cups finely diced onion
- 2 cups finely diced carrots
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 1 ½ cups Windhoek Light Beer
- 2 x 400 g tins whole peeled tomatoes, blended
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
Courgette spaghetti ingredients
- 2 medium sized courgette per person
- 1 teaspoon of Salt
- 3 tablespoons good quality extra virgin olive oil
Bolognaise method and preparation
- Place the oil, star anise, bay leaves and oregano in a large, heavy-based saucepan and heat to infuse the flavours.
- Season the beef mince with the salt and pepper.
- Add the mince to the saucepan and brown.
- Add the garlic, onions and carrots. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the Windhoek Light and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add the blended tinned tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, sugar and lemon juice.
- Simmer for 40 to 50 minutes over a low heat.
- Remove the star anise and bay leaves before serving
- Spoon Bolognaise generously over the Courgette Spaghetti
Courgette Spaghetti Method and Preparation
- Using a vegetable peeler – peel off ribbon like strips which you then cut with a sharp knife into “spaghetti-like noodles”
- When you get to the seeds, turn the courgette as the seeds are to moist and will not hold the spaghetti shape
- Just before serving – lightly fry in a pan with the olive oil and salt
- You want the courgette spaghetti to be firm not soft – so be careful not to over cook
Created by Chef Peter Ayub of Sense of Taste
Chef Peter owns and runs The Sense of Taste Catering Company, a 12 year highly successful company, specializing in high-end gourmet and corporate functions. He has also had the privilege to cook for Ruby Wax, Dr Mamphela Aletta Ramphele, The English Cricket Team, Beyoncé and Jay-Z as well Kim andKhloe Kardashian. A huge honour was to personally prepare the favourite meal (oxtail) of Former President, Nelson Mandela during the opening of the Nelson Mandela Gateway in V&A Waterfront.