These sweetcorn fritters are both delcious and healthy
Preparation Time: 10
Cooking Time: 20
- Half a tin (410g) whole-kernel corn, drained
- 410g tin cream-style sweetcorn
- 1 cup (250ml) wholewheat flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 egg, beaten
- ½ cup (125ml) low-fat or fat-free milk
- 1 tsp mixed spice. Ground
- ½ small onion, finely chopped or grated
- 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- Mix all the ingredients together, except the oil, in a large bowl.
- Heat a thin layer of the oil in a frying pan. Add a tablespoonful of the mixture to the pan and fry on both sides until golden brown. Repeat with the rest of the oil and mixture.
- Drain on a paper towel and serve warm as a side dish.
- Pumpkin fritters: Substitute kernel corn and sweetcorn for 2-3 cups cooked and mashed pumpkin or butternut. Fry as above.
- Mixed veggie fritters: Replace the kernel corn with 1 carrot and 1 baby marrow, grated. Fry as above.
- Any leftovers are ideal for lunch the next day. Kids will love them as a snack in their lunch-boxes.