The tamarind gives this full-flavoured creamy curry real punch.
Preparation Time: 35
Cooking Time: 1:5
- 4 tbsp sunflower oil
- 2 tbsp dried chilli flakes
- 4 tsp coriander seeds, crushed
- 5 cardamom pods, shell discarded and seeds crushed
- ½tsp fenugreek, crushed
- 1cm piece cinnamon, crushed
- 1tsp ground cumin
- 2tsp turmeric
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 5cm piece fresh root ginger, grated
- 18 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, halved
- 2 onions, peeled and chopped
- 2 x 400g cans coconut milk
- 2tbsp tamarind paste (available from selected supermarkets)
- good hanful curry leaves
- Heat half the oil in a large sauté pan and add the spices over a medium heat. Stir well for a few minutes, then add the garlic and ginger, stir again for a minute and then take off the heat. Set aside.
- In a separate pan, heat the remaining oil and brown the chicken on all sides, in batches. Add to the spice mix in the sauté pan as you go. Gently cook the onions for 5 minutes and add to the chicken. Pour in the coconut milk, tamarind and curry leaves. Bring to the boil, then simmer slowly for 1 hour.
This article originated on: www.womanandhome.com