Add a little Indian twist to your roasted sweet potatoes with this recipe from Tasty Wastenots
Cooking Time: 40 mins
“We all know how good roasted sweet potatoes are on the fire. Adding a little Indian twist to them makes a rather delightful change from the norm, which could possibly be even better than the usual butter, cinnamon and honey. You decide.” – Tasty Wastenots
- 5 ml (1 tsp) cumin seeds
- 15 ml (1 Tbsp) coconut oil
- 30 ml (2 Tbsp) butter
- 4 sweet potatoes, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 10 ml (2 tsp) curry powder
- 5 ml (1 tsp) mustard seeds
- 5 ml (1 tsp) salt
- 5 ml (1 tsp) black pepper
- 15 ml (1 Tbsp) honey
- First dry toast the cumin seeds in a pan, then crush them in a pestle and mortar.
- Melt the coconut oil and butter together, then add all the spices.
- Make a parcel out of a double layer of foil, then throw in the sweet potato pieces followed by the spice mix. Make sure there is an even coating on all the sweet potato pieces, then close the parcel.
- Place the parcel directly on the coals, turning every 10 minutes for about 40 minutes.
This is an extract from Tasty Wastenots by Sally-Ann Creed and Jason Whitehead, published by Human & Rousseau.