In Durban curry style, this KwaZulu-Natal speciality is both red and hot
- 3-4 green chillies
- 1 Tbsp mustard seeds
- 4-5 Tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 large or 1 ½ small onions, chopped
- 1 sprig curry leaves
- 1 Tbsp each fresh grated ginger and garlic
- 3 Tbsp mixed or fish masala
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 6 medium-sized ripe tomatoes (grated)
- 2 Tbsp warm water
- Salt if needed
- 500g prawns, shelled and deveined
- Fresh dhania leaves
- Slice green chillies. Discard seeds and ribs if you prefer a milder curry.
- Sauté mustard seeds over medium heat in oil until they begin to pop.
- Add onions, continue cooking. Add curry leaves and sliced green chillies.
- Stir in ginger and garlic. Add masala, turmeric, grated tomatoes. Braise until mixture is fragrant, and a rich colour. Add warm water. Stir. Check for seasoning.
- Place prawns on surface of mixture. Lower heat, cover, simmer for 5-7mins or until prawns are pink and have curled.
- Garnish with fresh dhania leaves. Serve with rice, papadums and sambals.