They might take time to decorate but these pretty biscuits make a fab Christmas gift
Preparation Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 10-12 minutes
- 65g butter
- 75g light muscovado sugar
- 2tsp each ground cinnamon and ginger
- 1tsp mixed spice
- zest of a small orange
- 1tbsp treacle
- 2tbsp milk
- 225g plain flour
- large pinch bicarbonate of soda
- Place all the ingredients in a food processor and pulse until it comes together as a soft dough. Wrap in clingwrap; place in the fridge for an hour.
- Roll out the dough on a floured surface to around 3mm thick, then cut out your shapes. You can re-roll as much as you like. Put the dough shapes back in the fridge for an hour. Heat the oven to 180°C, 160°C fan, and bake for 10 to 12 minutes, until they are just going darker at the edges. Cool on a rack.
- For the icing: whisk together an egg white and a squeeze of lemon juice, then add icing sugar, at least 250g, if you want icing thick enough to pipe lines.