It only takes a second for a spill of red wine to spoil your new white dress – or does it? This stain removal guide will help you take care of those stain emergencies.
What to do in a stain emergency
- Act quickly to remove and prevent a stain from ‘setting’. The faster you act, the milder the remedy that will be needed.
- Always start with the mildest treatment first as this lowers the chances of you damaging the stained fabric.
- Never rub a stain, as this pushes the stain deeper into the fabric and will make it more difficult to remove. Pinch out as much of the stain as you can, working from the outside to the middle of the stain to avoid making the stain bigger.
- Never neglect a stain because more drastic stain removal remedies may not be used on delicate fabrics.
- In almost all cases it’s best not to use warm or hot water. There are some exceptions to this rule when warmer water will help to remove greasy, oil-based stains.
- Remove excess sauce using a spoon or knife, being careful not to spread the stain.
- Flush with cold water from the back of the stain.
- Apply washing detergent onto the stain and gently work it into the fabric.
- Allow the stained fabric to stand for 30 minutes.
- Wash as normal. Warmer temperatures will help remove oil-based stains.
- Flush from the back of the stain using cold water.
- Apply detergent to the stained areas and work into the fabric. Allow to stand for 30 – 60 minutes.
- Wash per label instructions in your Bosch washing machine.
- If the stain persists, repeat the process, and rewash.
Beverages like coffee, tea, soft drinks, and wine
- Fresh stains – soak the item in a strong detergent solution for 30 minutes before washing per label instructions in your washing machine.
- Dried stains – apply detergent onto the stained area and allow to stand for 30 minutes before per label instructions in your washing machine.
- When dry, brush off as much of the mud as possible.
- Pre-treat the stain by applying detergent directly to the stained area. Allow to stand for 30 – 60 minutes.
- Wash per label instructions in your washing machine and, if the stain persists, repeat the process.
- Act quickly as grass stains permeate the fibres quite quickly.
- If stains are small and localised, apply detergent, allow to stand for 30 – 60 minutes, then wash as normal.
- For heavy staining, make a strong detergent solution and soak the item for 60 minutes before washing per label instructions in your washing machine.
Collar and cuff grime
- Dampen the grimy areas, apply detergent and work into the fabric. Allow to stand for 30 minutes.
- Wash per label instructions in your washing machine.