woman&home is gearing up for a 5km stint in the Avon Justine iThemba Walkathon on 25 October. Get fit alongside us, by checking out our walk-your-way to health guide featuring daily tips over the month of October!
1. Short daily walks – you don’t need the latest trendy hi-tech trainers. It goes without saying, but fit and feel trump style; and a pair under R300 should do the trick. That said, the Maxed Ladies Galaxy VII Runner, from R269,99 at Mr Price Sport, are comfy, well-priced and pretty in pink!
2. Long-distance walks – you’ll need to invest a little more in a pair of shoes with enough supportive cushioning for your foot. We like the gel cushioning of the Women’s Asics Gel-Pulse 7 Running Shoe, from R1 399 at Totalsports.
Good to know…
1. Buy at a specialist shop, like Sportsmans Warehouse or Totalsports, where an expert can look at your feet to help you decide which trainers will work best for you, and fit you perfectly. Too tight or too loose, and you’ll be left with nasty blisters.
2. Save money and still get the perfect shoe by looking for last season’s colours.
3. Replace your trainers at least once a year. If you’re a regular walker, you’ll need to look at replacing your shoes about every 800km. If the cushioning seems compressed or they’re wearing a lot on the soles, it’s time for a new pair.