We love the festive season, but all the prep and celebrations can knock the stuffing out of you. Try our quick ideas to see you through the busiest time of the year …
Get down with the kids again
The problem: The little ones are driving you crazy and you can feel a headache coming on.
The solution: Rest your head on a heavy book to reboot your energy.
Why a book? The pressure works on the vagus nerve to calm the nervous system – good for soothing a headache.
How? By combining firm pressure and yoga in the child’s pose:
- Kneel on all fours with your knees hip-width apart. Breathe in deeply through your nose.
- Exhale through your mouth, lowering your bottom to your heels, and lengthening your tail bone away from your pelvis
- Let your torso fold over your thighs, lengthen your neck, and let your forehead rest on a heavy-ish book.
- Lay your arms by your thighs with palms facing up, feeling the weight of your shoulders spreading across and stretching out the top of your back.
- Take several deep breaths into your belly as you rest there for a while.
- If your knees aren’t up to it, lie on your back and rest the book on your forehead for ten minutes.
Power through the prep
The problem: You’ve woken up with a hangover and the family is arriving soon. Who’s going to make the beds, and so on?
The solution: A blend of smart remedies and common sense will sort you out.
“We get hangovers when ethanol is oxidised into acetaldehyde, causing us to dehydrate, leeching vitamins and minerals (especially the B vitamins and potassium), and lowering blood sugar, bringing on nausea, headache, thirst, and digestive upset. Rehydrate with lots of water and vitamins.” – Sebastian Pole, Hindu Ayurveda medicine guru
Drink aloe juice – “My favourite for cooling and nourishing the digestive tract and helping the liver,” says Sebastian.
“Eat cleansing green foods” – such as kale, spinach, and avocado – “excellent at speeding up liver metabolism” and replenishing vitamin B and potassium.
Try: Totally Wild Organic Aloe 24/7 Drink, and Good Life Organic Power Plants Green Bang Superfood Blend; both from faithful-to-nature.co.za
Beat the energy slump
The problem: After all your lunch/dinner prep, you’re not sure how you’re going to find the stamina for family games later on – and you can’t let your side down!
The solution: Be sure to include some superfoods in your menu…
Oily fish: the brain needs essential fatty acids to regenerate brain cells and stay alert. Cold water fish, such as salmon, mackerel, and sardines, are packed with these brain-boosting omega fats.
Broccoli: A great, guilt-free side dish that will give those energy levels a lift. It’s not only brimming with iron, but also a good source of immune-boosting vitamin C.
Brown rice, sweet potatoes, and whole wheat pasta: are complex slow-release carbs, which are one of the best natural energy providers. As they are digested, they release glucose into the blood stream more slowly than their simple, fast-release counterparts, providing you with a steady supply of energy to keep you going.