It’s been around for millennia but the super spice turmeric is still one of the most searched for food on Google according to Thinkwithgoogle.com. This is why we’re constantly looking for simple ways to use it everyday.
Turmeric is considered a master antioxidant; and is one spice you need to add to your life and diet on a daily basis.
The health benefits of turmeric
Johannesburg based Homeopath, Dr Vicki Compere is a big fan of turmeric and uses it to help her patients. According to her, turmeric is a wonderful spice because of it containing curcumin, which is a polyphenolic compound with over 150 remarkable properties.
In fact, the healing benefits of turmeric are well documented with several compelling studies being done in recent years. Some of the most important health benefits of turmeric include the following properties:
- Liver protecting (hepatoprotective)
- Cancer preventing
- Cholesterol balancing
- Digestive health promoting
- Liver detoxifying
- Metabolism and weight management regulation
- Memory and brain function boosting
According to Dr Compere, turmeric can also be used therapeutically for a number of conditions including Arthritis, diabetes (as it helps to lower blood sugar and reverses insulin resistance), digestive ailments, cardiovascular disease, cancer and Osteoporosis.
5 ways to use turmeric everyday
1. Eat more thai food. Cooking Thai recipes like this One-pan Thai chicken at home, is a good start. You can add turmeric to just about any recipe that has coconut milk as a base. In addition, Thai food tends to be far less oily and salty than Indian or Chinese food, so you can have great taste without the heaviness.
2. Incorporate turmeric into your family’s diet. Simply add 1-2 teaspoons of turmeric to your next curry dish. We love this lentil, pea and sweet potato curry recipe or try it in your favourite soup recipe for an added twist. One of our favourite recipes is this Thai salmon broth
3. Take turmeric powder as a daily supplement in water. The University of Maryland recommends 1 – 3 grams per day. 1 gram of ground turmeric powder is roughly ½ a teaspoon and 1 – 2 teaspoons per day is optimum. That dose can be slowly increased over time, says Dr Compere.
4. Use turmeric in a reviving face mask. Mix together this homemade mask for gorgeous glowing skin:
- A little water (just enough to make a paste
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp chickpea powder
- 1 tbsp turmeric powder.
Apply to the face and neck, and rinse with cold water once the mask has dried.
Watch our video on more ways you can use turmeric in your beauty routine:
5. Replace your morning or evening coffee with this delicious golden milk recipe, developed by lifestyle and wellness expert, Lisa Raleigh.
You can also make your own “liquid gold” turmeric tea by warming and stirring the following ingredients together in a pot on the stove:
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup water
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
DISCLAIMER: You must not rely on the information on this website/newsletter as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or other professional healthcare provider.
A freelance writer and editor, with 15 years’ experience in the media industry. With a passion for health and fitness, Tammy loves nothing more than researching the latest wellness trends. And if she’s not running around after her sweet four-year old daughter, you’ll find Tammy on her bike, in the gym or exploring the great outdoors – followed by a good coffee, of course!