Behavioural research shows exercising with your partner or friend doesn’t just offer more accountability, but can lead to a healthier lifestyle, too.
We list our top 5 reasons why you should train with a loved one:
1. Laugh and share in the pain
Exercise can be fun – it doesn’t have to be a gruelling solo experience where you question whether it’s really worth it. When training with your partner or friend, you get to catch up – if you think you’re about to give up, just laugh about the pain. Remember, laughter releases endorphins, giving you that extra push you need.
2. Stress relief
Life is not always a walk in the park – with stress from work and bills, life can take its toll on your relationship. Working out together gives you the chance to de-stress, and by doing it together, you’re forming a stronger emotional bond with your partner or friend.
3. Stay motivated
This is obvious but needs to be said; an exercise partner will encourage, support and keep you focused and motivated through some of your hardest workout days.
We’ve all had those days where it’s far simpler to just veg out on the couch with a glass of red. It’s easy to talk yourself out of exercising, but when you have your partner by your side encouraging you to train, it’s not so easy to say “no”. Having someone believe in you will inspire you to believe in yourself and push your boundaries.
4. Friendly competition
A bit of friendly, healthy rivalry never hurt anyone – in fact, it makes you perform better. It’s human nature to not want to be the weakest link in any situation, so harmless competition is a great motivator.
5. Variety is the spice of life
It’s more than likely that you and your partner are not at the same fitness level, and that you both enjoy different workouts. The truth is, you could both benefit from different exercises. You can introduce him/her to new workouts – not only will it open your minds, but you’ll have fun doing it together.
Get healthy! Get rewarded with Vitality Move
If you and your partner or friend believe that a healthy lifestyle is beneficial to your longevity and overall wellbeing, then why not get rewarded for it?
Discovery Vitality is introducing its brand new offering, Vitality Move. This programme rewards members of certain schemes administered by Discovery Health, for taking the step towards a healthier lifestyle.
Joining Vitality Move is free and easy, here’s how:
- Get a Pick n Pay Smart Shopper card at any Pick n Pay store and register your details at the kiosk.
- Link your Pick n Pay Smart Shopper card to Vitality Move by dialling *120*MOVE# (6683#). USSD charges apply.
- Swipe your Smart Shopper card every time you shop at any Pick n Pay store.
- Stand a chance to win back your HealthyFood shopping spend every time you swipe.
- Do a Vitality Health Check and then keep swiping for the chance to win back the value of your Pick n Pay shopping trolley (up to a maximum of R1 000 per shop)!
- Limits, terms and conditions apply. For more information on Vitality Move and to confirm participation of your scheme, visit discovery.co.za
Digital Editor at woman&home magazine, F1 Fan, Chocoholic.