Finding your own style is all about discovering what makes you feel confident, and a great way to do that is by using classic pieces and adding fun, unique touches.
Jackie Burger, 57, Elle magazine editor-at-large, and founder and owner of Salon58, gives us her pick of wardrobe basics to suit everyone
- Jeans – It’s easy to achieve a sexy, feminine flair with jeans, but you can just as easily dress them down.
- All-season coat – It adds instant class to any outfit. Find one that fits well and complements your figure, and build up a collection of them over time.
- Cardigan or oversized sweater – Quality is especially important when it comes to knitted garments, as you want them to last a lifetime.
- Tailored trousers – Find a cut that works for your body – be it feminine or a bit more masculine – and tailor them so they fit perfectly.
- Skirt – The three best styles, in my opinion, are pleated, full circle, and pencil. Whichever you choose depends on your shape and preference.
- Signature accessories – Find your style, whether it’s delicate or chunkier pieces, and build up a collection over time.
- All-purpose bag – This is the bag you could fit your whole life in, and once you find it, you won’t know how you lived without it!
- Shoes – Experiment with different styles, but good basics are a pair of courts, pretty sandals, and pumps.
For more on Jackie, read about her in on page 28 of our October 2015 issue.
As a qualified Journalist, Researcher, Social Media Manager, Digital Editor, Brand Manager now Social Media Campaigns Manager; my studies and experience have stood me in a good ground in recent years