Finding the right pair of shoes to go with new winter skirts – or vice versa – can be an overwhelming task, so we’ve decided to make matters easier.
These are the skirts guaranteed to work with ALL footwear styles – from trainers to heels, mules to knee-high boots! Read on to find out which ones you should be snapping up before they sell out – and discover their sole mates…
The pleated midi skirt
This skirt’s neutral hue, midi length and clean-yet-feminine cut make it a versatile wonder buy. Allow it to skim over a pair of knee high boots for a ’70s vibe, add heels for a ladylike feel, or pop on a pair of skater-style trainers for lazy day chic.
- Devernois Javanaise Skirt, R4 900, Emilia
- Waterproof riding boots, R4 150, Blondo at Nordstrom
- Soft leahter ballerina pumps, R1 549, Mango
- Camille perforated slip-on sneakers, R2 343, Frya at Shopbop
The sweater skirt
OK, you’re familiar with sweatshirts, but how about ‘sweatskirts’? This wool number could be a wardrobe game-changer. Pull it on and you’ve already nailed the athleisure trend – so feel free to dress it up or down.
- Side-split knit skirt, R799, Witchery at Woolworths
- Stretch boots, R402, Boohoo at Next
- Black heels, R999, Zara
- Superstar sneakers, R7 402, Golden Goose at Shopbop
The denim pencil skirt
The old-favorite denim skirt isn’t just for summer – it’s also a great piece this season, just play with layers. A darker wash and tailored feel make this one easy to wear with anything.
- Medium wash denim pencil, R399, Foschini
- Textured knee boot, R1 999, Zara
- Sneakers, R699, Superga
- Cut-out ankle boots, R499, Woolworths
The military skirt
The military trend will be around for a while, so get in on the act now. The understated gold detailing on this pencil skirt will elevate your workwear staples to a whole new level. Don’t make the mistake of discarding it after hours; just dress it down with trainers, or head out with metallic heels.
- Military pencil skirt, R99.99, Mr Price
- Tomorrow gold shoe, R1 299, Steve Madden
- Textured trainer, R70, Mr Price
- Red ankle boot, R1 599, Zara
The leather wrap skirt
Wrap skirts straddle the border between smart and casual. So which way do you take them? The choice is yours. Add some sass with a printed boot in a contrasting texture, or inject a sporty edge with a pair of fashion trainers.
- Faux leather wrap midi skirt, R1 202, Nordstrom
- Black twist trainers, R505, Quiz at Bay One
- Embossed boot, R999, Foschini
- Knee high boot, R3 020, Jeffery Campbell at Nordstrom
The prom skirt
Thought you could only wear heels with a showstopper like this? Think again. Have fun with this feminine skirt and try pretty flats – even sneakers!
- Floral skirt, from R740, Next
- Metallic mule, R499, Mango
- Mirror trainers, from R236, Next
- Crossover block heel, R90, Mr Price
Intern Digital editor at woman&home magazine. … Experienced digital editor with a demonstrated history of working in the media production industry.