If we could we would all live the first-class life when travelling. But our budgets don’t always allow for the best of the best. So any tips (or the perfect hotel hack!) that can help us improve our holidays and add a little perk here and there are always welcome.
Well, we have some good news! A regular traveller has shared a hotel hack that could help us all have a nicer stay wherever we are.
And the best part… it doesn’t cost a thing.
Taking to Twitter to share the genius hack, the traveller posted an image of the curtains in a hotel room.
In the picture, the Twitter user has taken a hanger (one with clips on the bottom of it) from the hotel wardrobe to clip the curtains together.
‘I don’t remember who posted this on Twitter a few years ago,’ he captioned the clever photo, ‘but whoever you are: you have improved every night I’ve spent in a hotel since.’
I don't remember who posted this on Twitter a few years ago, but whoever you are: you have improved every night I've spent in a hotel since. pic.twitter.com/NpuuumqHV8
— Rick Klau (@rklau) October 4, 2019
The clever hack means that the blackout curtains span the whole of the hotel room windows and there is no little gap letting in that pesky sliver of light in the morning.
A better night’s sleep and an easier lie-in? Yes, please!
The post quickly received over 75,000 retweets and more than 400,000 likes.
The tweet then began a thread of other Twitter users leaving behind their own handy hotel tips: one even wrote about his own variation on it, commenting, ‘I use the clip on the hotel pen but the hanger looks more effective!’. What started off as one tweet became the catalyst for many others sharing what has worked for them.
Take a look at these tips and see how they can improve your next hotel stay:
- Use the plastic baggie from the ice bucket to wrap around the remote. Then you don’t have to worry about who last touched what.
- Another hotel hack is if you ever need an extra phone charger, ask the front desk if they have one. They usually have a box full.
- And if there aren’t enough outlets, use the USB port of the hotel room television.
- You can literally put any card in the slot that turns on the electricity, so you can leave the room with your device charging inside.
- Restock the mini-fridge on your own. Avoid the exorbitant prices by replacing what you have used from a regular grocery store. You’ll likely pay a fraction of what the hotel will charge.
- Use the shower steam to remove wrinkles from a shirt. If your hotel does not have an iron, or you’re just too lazy to ask for one, this is the hack for you! Put your shirt or blouse on a hanger and hang it on the bathroom door. The steam from the shower will help release the creases.
- Use the ironing board as an adjustable desk. Genius!
Not all of these are guaranteed to work, but it is definitely worth a try. Happy travels!
Person of faith. Features writer. Lover of baked goods (Mary Berry is one of her heroes). A curator of really great Pinterest boards. She also loves to stay up to date with the latest health trends. If she was lost you’d probably find her perusing the cookbook aisles of Exclusive Books, sipping on a cortado.