From preventing cancer, to fighting inflammation, here’s why you need more turmeric in your life, plus 5 ways to use turmeric everyday.
It’s been around for millennia but the super spice turmeric is now topping Google as the most searched for food according to Thinkwithgoogle.com. This is why we’re constantly looking for simple ways to use turmeric everyday.
Discover what the ancients have known throughout the ages, turmeric is considered a master antioxidant – and is one spice you need to add into your life and diet – daily.
The numerous health benefits of turmeric
Johannesburg based Homeopath, Dr Vicki Compere is a huge fan of turmeric and uses it to help her patients.
According to Dr Compere, turmeric is a wonderful spice because it contains curcumin, which is a polyphenolic compound that has over 150 remarkable properties.
In fact, the healing benefits of turmeric are well documented with several compelling studies being done in recent years. Some of the most important health benefits of turmeric include properties like;
- Liver protecting (hepatoprotective)
- Cancer preventing
- Cholesterol balancing
- Digestive health promoting
- Liver detoxifying
- Metabolism and weight management regulation
- Memory and brain function boosting
According to Dr Compere, turmeric can also be used therapeutically for a number of conditions including Arthritis, diabetes (as it helps to lower blood sugar and reverses insulin resistance), digestive ailments, cardiovascular disease, cancer and Osteoporosis.
5 ways to use turmeric everyday
1. Eat more thai food. Cooking Thai recipes like this Thai chicken dish at home, is a good start. You can add turmeric to just about any recipe that has coconut milk as a base. In addition, Thai food tends to be far less oily and salty than Indian or Chinese food, so you can have great taste without the heaviness.
2. Incorporate turmeric into your family’s diet. Simply add 1-2 teaspoons of turmeric to your next curry dish. We love this lentil, pea and sweet potato curry recipe or try it in your favourite soup recipe for an added twist. One of our favourite recipes is this Thai salmon broth.
Turmeric can also be used to add heaps of flavour to rice dishes. Why not add some to this coconut rice pilaf . It’s a great flavour enhancer and combines well with just about any other spice or herb.
More turmeric recipes to try:
3. Take turmeric powder as a daily supplement in water. The University of Maryland recommends 1 – 3 grams per day. 1 gram of ground turmeric powder is roughly ½ a teaspoon and 1 – 2 teaspoons per day is optimum. That dose can be slowly increased over time, says Dr Compere.
4. Use turmeric in a reviving face mask. Mix together this homemade mask for gorgeous glowing skin:
- A little water (just enough to make a paste
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp chickpea powder
- 1 tbsp turmeric powder.
Apply to the face and neck, and rinse with cold water once the mask has dried.
Watch our video on more ways you can use turmeric in your beauty routine:
5. Replace your morning or evening coffee with this delicious golden milk recipe, developed by lifestyle and wellness expert, Lisa Raleigh.
You can also make your own “liquid gold” turmeric tea by warming and stirring the following ingredients together in a pot on the stove:
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 cup water
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
DISCLAIMER: You must not rely on the information on this website/newsletter as an alternative to medical advice from your doctor or other professional healthcare provider.