We all know there’s nothing better than a warm cup of Rooibos on a chilly day, but have you unlocked all of the other secrets the beloved local plant boasts? As you’ll learn, Rooibos also happens to be a powerful ingredient in effective skincare – especially for those luscious lips!
Let’s break it down.
Rooibos as lip care
When it comes to lip care, finding natural and effective ingredients is the best way to maintain healthy, plump lips.
In the pursuit of natural beauty, one ingredient that has gained significant attention worldwide is Rooibos. Derived from the leaves of the South African aspalathus linearis plant, Rooibos offers a wealth of benefits for the skin, especially the lips.
It’s all about the hydration factor that Rooibos boasts
The delicate skin on our lips requires a little extra TLC, and Rooibos provides the gentle nourishment and protection they need.
The benefits are remarkable – Rooibos’ hydrating properties prevent dry, chapped lips during harsh weather conditions (like the winter we currently find ourselves in) and it can also be used as a protective barrier on your lips, sealing in moisture and shielding them from external factors like wind, cold temperatures, and UV rays.
Regular use of Rooibos-infused lip products can leave your lips soft, smooth, and kissable.
Make your own Rooibos lip scrub at home
Here’s how you can make your own gorgeous Rooibos lip scrub at home:
- 2 teaspoons Rooibos (if you don’t have any dried leaves on hand, break open a tea bag and use that instead).
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil.
- A drizzle of honey.
- A sprinkle of sugar +/- 2 teaspoons.
Mix together and you’ve got a lovely Rooibos exfoliating scrub!
How to apply your scrub:
- Start with clean, dry lips.
- Take a small amount of the lip scrub using your fingertip or a clean lip brush.
- Gently massage the scrub onto your lips using circular motions for about 1 minute. The sugar and rooibos tea will help exfoliate the dead skin cells, while the honey and coconut oil will moisturise and nourish your lips.
- Rinse off the scrub with warm water and pat your lips dry.
- Finish by applying a lip balm or moisturiser to keep your lips hydrated and soft.
Remember, this homemade lip scrub is for external use only, and it’s always a good idea to do a patch test before applying it to your lips, especially if you have sensitive skin or any allergies to the ingredients.
Rooibos is amazing, in general!
We’d love to unpack all of the magic behind this beloved local plant, but we’d need an entire series to do so! If you’re looking at growing your own Rooibos at home, these are some of the benefits you can expect:
- It’s caffeine free.
- It boosts heart health.
- It aids in sleep.
- It boasts anti-inflammatory properties.
This proudly South African gem can provide a natural, effective solution for maintaining the health and beauty of your skin and lips.
Enjoy your Rooibos lip scrub!
Featured Image: Getty