Want to try out a new hair cut? Celebrity hairdresser Nicky Clarke shares his ultimate hairstyle slimming tricks.
Try a Celeb Inspired Style
Sweeping and peek-a-boo fringes like the one Halle Berry donned effortlessly at the Golden Globes earlier this year, are great for framing your face! It also helps give width to the temples which enhances cheekbones for a ‘thinner look’.
Feeling an All-rounder?
Try to avoid lengths that stop at the jawline, as they will make your face seem wider. Instead, go for a pixie style, like this beautiful cut from Maggie Gyllenhaal.
Stretch Yourself Slim
Longer lengths are great to bring narrowness to your face. Christina Hendricks opts for cascading waves…
View this post on Instagram
While Salma Hayek adds movement with long layers.
View this post on Instagram
Can’t wait for the LACMA Gucci Gala honoring @realgdt this weekend! Here’s a look at some of the fashion from the past 5 years. #tbt #lacmagala #gucci #lacma El sábado regreso a LA para la gala del LACMA donde recibirá un premio #guillermodeltoro Retrospectiva de moda de años pasados
Our 5 Quick Slimming Tricks
- Don’t be too square: A big no-no is any type of square haircut – too much width at the jaw simply makes people appear plumper, so rather add movement with layers and a side parting.
- Play tricks with your shape: The same way you would wear a dress cut on the bias, take that concept to
the hair. Choose an asymmetrical cut – it really works. When hair has a slant with one side longer, it creates the illusion of length and is very slimming.
- Avoid ‘helmet hair’: Hair with movement works better as it can move around your body; and if you have more body in your hair, you need it to be flirtier and more fluid.
- Don’t hide under a pile of hair: It never works. Unless you get a haircut like Captain Caveman – that is, all over the front – your boobs can really only be streamlined by clothing. It’s actually more about the shoulders and the width of your haircut where it hits your neck.
- Go light on colour: Like dressing in floaty layers, you want to go for threads of colour, like light playing through your hair, rather than dark, heavy blocks of colour. Ask for tone-on-tone shades or tonal layers of balayage woven through.
Products to Nail The Look Every Time
Volume is Key
Redken Guts 10 Volume Spray Foam, R399 for 300g, worked into the roots and hair length, thickens without stickiness.
Kevin Murphy Smooth Again Anti-frizz Treatment, R540 for 200ml, is a styling lotion with a unique plant-extract blend to ensure a smooth finish every time you style.
Make Hair Shine
Hair in great condition focuses the eye on your head, not your hips. Goldwell Kerasilk Color Intensive Luster Mask, R410 for 200ml, restores gloss and manageability to dry or colour-treated hair.
Frizz = Fat Hair
Fight frizz while in the shower by smoothing strands with weightless nourishment. Try Pantene Pro-V Aqua Light Shampoo, R67,25 for 400ml, and Aqua Light 3 Minute Miracle Conditioner, R67,25 for 200ml.
Compiled by Beauty Editor Martinique Stevens