Using a relaxer gives you endless styling options: updos, ponytails, textured styles, and more. But take care if you’re doing it at home, as it can damage your hair.
- Avoid shampooing for 72hrs before relaxing
- Choose the correct relaxer strength depending on the texture of your hair
- Apply a base cream on the scalp and hairline before relaxer application
- Remove braids, extensions, etc. 7 -15 days before relaxing
- Apply the relaxer on virgin hair only (not on hair that has been previously relaxed)
- Section the hair in small partings and apply the relaxer 2cm away from the scalp, starting on the crown and work your way towards the nape and proceed from the crown towards the forehead.
- Allow to process as per the texture timings listed as per manufacturer’s instructions
- Rinse out the relaxer with lukewarm water and follow on with a neutralising shampoo – 2 to 3 shampoos.
- Do not use if scalp is irritated or damaged
- Do not apply a relaxer over a Henna or Progressive colour
- Don’t colour (permanent) and relax on the same day
- Don’t not mix technologies i.e. a relaxer should never be applied over a “Thio” based product also known as a “step one” or” perm lotion”
- Don’t leave the relaxer on for longer than the recommended time
Visit Dark and Lovely’s website for more information.
Disclaimer: The information provided within this site is strictly for the purposes of information only and is not a replacement or substitute for professional advice.