Who doesn’t love a head full of lustrous locks that shine and bounce along with you throughout the long day? You can prevent bad hair days and avoid expensive salon treatments by tackling haircare yourself, using your own affordable apothecary of natural, organic essential oils to promote hair growth and nurse damaged strands back to healthy all-day lustre and glow.
Essential oils fortify hair tissues, increase blood circulation and stimulate hair follicles to achieve soft, mermaid-esque hair throughout every season. Let’s look at some of the best essential oils for you to include in your personal daily haircare routine, from the comfort of your own home:
For hair growth
Scientific studies show essential oils have properties that generate growth of hair and scalp cells. Choose your preferred essential oil below or combine them for healthy hair regeneration and growth.
- Lavender essential oil contains antimicrobial and antibacterial properties to improve scalp health, generate cell growth and reduce stress. Mix 15-20 drops of lavender oil into 2-3 tablespoons of jojoba, hemp seed or apricot kernel carrier oil, and apply directly to your scalp. Leave it in for at least 10 minutes before washing it out and shampooing normally. Repeat several times a week and give your head the boost it needs.
- Peppermint essential oil produces a tingling feeling as circulation is increased, boosting your hair during the growth phase.
- Thyme essential oil, one of the stronger essential oils in the family, promotes hair growth while actively preventing hair loss.
- Rosemary essential oil stimulates the roots and scalp and improves hair growth naturally.
For strength and thickness
Conditioning the shafts of your hair helps to reduce friction and results in less breakages. If you have long hair, wrap your hair up in a silk scarf before going to sleep at night to prevent further chafing and damage.
- Clary sage essential oil contains the same linalyl acetate that makes lavender oil so effective in increasing hair growth, improving hair strength and making it more difficult to break. Mix 9 drops of clary sage oil with your conditioner, or with 1 tablespoon of carrier oil. Leave on for 10 minutes before rinsing.
- Cedarwood essential oil balances the oil-producing glands in the scalp and boosts your hair to become your best-looking feature. Mix a few drops together with your favourite carrier oil, rub between your palms and gently massage it into your scalp for a glossy, aromatic start to your day.
- Rose Geranium essential oil repairs and nourishes your hair from the inside out using antioxidants to fight free radicals that can accumulate in the hair cells from exposure to pollution, harsh sun and hair treatment chemicals.
To repair and nourish
Modern day stresses and environmental conditions can lead to itchy scalps and embarrassing dandruff build up, and a combination of dry hair and greasy scalp. Here’s the 101 in hair care with SOiL’s essential hair care range:
- Lemongrass essential oil promotes healthy scalp care, helping to ward off dandruff and can be used daily.
- Tea tree essential oil is a powerful antibacterial and antimicrobial oil which you can massage directly onto your scalp to unplug hair follicles and boost hair growth. It is also effective against head lice for school-going children. Mix a few drops of essential oil with a natural carrier oil from SOiL or add a few drops to your shampoo or conditioner for the best hair health for your scalp needs.
- Ylang Ylang essential oil is ideal for dry scalps, helping to stimulate sebum production which improves the texture of your hair. Mix 5 drops of essential ylang-ylang oilwith 2 tablespoons of warm oil. Massage it into your scalp and wrap your head with a warm towel, leaving it for 30 minutes before rinsing out. Never add pure essential oils directly to your scalp, first blend it with a carrier oil or add a touch of luxury to your everyday shampoo.
- Rose Geranium essential oil is high in antioxidants to nourish hair and act as a barrier to free radicals, so your hair looks radiant and luxurious. Apply it to your head to nourish, tone and feed hair follicles. Simply add a few drops to your current shampoo and conditioner to leave your hair beautifully shiny and healthy each day.
For shine and softness
Take time to show your crowning head of hair some tender loving care and get the results you need to shine.
Our favourite essential carrier oils include apricot kernel for added moisture, jojoba oil for added nutrients, argan oil to nourish and add antioxidants, hemp Seed oil to strengthen hair and stimulate hair growth and shea Butter to nourish and condition. Incorporate the following essential oils into your daily hair care routine or set aside a beauty day of the week to apply a treatment for your best hair yet!
Chamomile essential oil adds shine and softness to your hair, soothing your scalp and your mood.
Ylang Ylang essential oil hydrates and treats dry brittle hair, helping to boost the texture.
Sandalwood oil nourishes those long dry ends at the end of your hair shaft while delivering a beautiful fragrance.
A word of warning about essential oils
The biggest risk of essential oils is skin irritation or allergic reactions. Always use a carrier oil to dilute essential oils. Test a small amount on your skin before applying and be aware of skin irritation, burning and redness. Allergic reactions to essential oils include blistering rashes, difficulty breathing, swelling of the tongue and narrowing of the throat. Use a lower concentration when applying essential oils to children’s hair.
For more healing formulas and essential oil haircare hints and tips, visit SOiL’s online shop and discover the hundreds of healthy ways to boost your health, hair, mood and lifestyle.
Feature Image: Unsplash