Hold off on the mayo for your next sandwich, you may need it for your hair…
Surprisingly, the staple condiment can also be used as a moisturiser that nourishes your locks! It might sound strange, but it’s true! High in protein and vitamins, a mayo hair mask could actually be a great addition to your hair-care routine…
Although mayo is a rather unusual ingredient for a hair hack, it can treat a slew of issues. From tackling dandruff to saving you from hair loss, mayo moisturises and leaves your hair healthy, shiny, and bouncy!
Here are some of the benefits of using mayonnaise as a moisturiser for your hair:
Benefits of a mayo hair mask
Mayonnaise contains oil, which can penetrate deep into the hair shaft and provide moisture to the hair. It can also help to smooth the hair cuticle, resulting in softer and more manageable hair.
Mayonnaise contains protein, which can help to strengthen and nourish the hair. This can be especially beneficial for those with damaged or dry hair.
Mayonnaise will leave your hair shining from the oil connects. The oil in mayo can help to smooth the hair cuticle, which can reflect light and make your hair appear shinier.
Mayonnaise is an affordable and accessible option for a hair moisturiser. You can easily find it at your local grocery store, and it’s much cheaper than many commercial hair care products.
Other benefits include:
- Frizz control.
- Hair straightening.
- Hair growth – The main components of mayonnaise is oil, vinegar and egg yolks. Egg yolks are loaded with amino acids, which can help promote hair growth.
- Lice treatment.
- Dandruff control.
- Adds hydration to scalp.
How to make & apply a mayo hair mask
Using mayonnaise as a hair moisturiser is easy. Here are the steps:
- Start with clean, damp hair. You can either shampoo and condition your hair or just wet it with water.
- Apply a generous amount of mayonnaise to your hair, making sure to cover all the strands from roots to tips.
- Massage the mayonnaise into your hair and scalp. This will help to stimulate blood flow to the scalp and ensure that the mayo is evenly distributed throughout your hair.
- Cover your hair with a plastic shower cap or wrap it with plastic wrap. This will help to trap in heat and allow the mayonnaise to penetrate deeper into your hair.
- Leave the mayonnaise on your hair for 30 minutes to an hour. You can also leave it on overnight if you prefer.
- Rinse your hair thoroughly with warm water. Shampoo and condition your hair as usual. Sometimes a second wash is required to ensure no oil residue sits on your scalp and blocks your pores.
Pro Tip: Wrap cling-wrap over your hair to protect it dust settling and lock in to potent smell of mayonnaise.
When to not use mayo on your hair…
It might be wise to avoid using mayonnaise as a hair mask if your hair tends to get oily quickly. Mayonnaise can make your hair a little oilier since the product is primarily made of oil.
This mask is beneficial for the curly and wavy hair types, which usually lack sebum (natural oil) in the middle and ends of the hair cuticle.
If you are using mayonnaise as a hair mask treatment, it is best to use it once a month. If you notice a a product build up on your scalp, just use a clarifying shampoo to remove any residue.
Would you give it a try?
Feature Image: Getty Images