Start off your body ritual for beautiful skin with a scrub-and-oil regime for healthy and glowing skin.
Every beauty therapist sings the praises of exfoliation, whether done with body brushes, granular scrubs, gloves or even the humble loofah. For a little stay-at-home spoil, light some candles, dim the lights and spritz your favourite scent – then indulge in this invigorating, nourishing regime…
First scrub up
“A professional scrub is the perfect home-care ritual, done in a few simple steps,” says beauty therapist Lauren O’Brien. Use this technique with your choice of body butter.
1. With one hand to brush and the other to smooth, start at your toes, working up the leg in short strokes, ensuring maximum coverage. Continue up the tops of your hips, then repeat on the other leg.
2. For arms, work from the tips of your fingers up your arms towards your heart. This will slough away dead skin cells, boosting the circulation and the lymphatic system.
3. For best results, scrub on dry skin, before soaking in a bath or shower with Spoil Yourself Cleopatra’s Geranium YlangYlang Milk Bath, R140 for 500g. After, apply a body butter, such a Kiehl’s Crème de Corps Soy Milk & Honey Whipped Body Butter, R615 for 226g. “Apply from the outer limbs into the centre of the body in circular motions,” says Lauren.
…Then get well oiled
Soften and strengthen skin with Comfort Zone Sacred Nature Bio-Certified Body Oil, R770 for 200ml, a pricey but ultra-nourishing body oil; or try the iconic Bio Oil, R104,99 for 200ml, and work from foot to hip using long, upward strokes.
- Best for dry skin brushing: QVS Oval Wooden Bath Brush, R110
- Best for damp skin scrubbing: Lush Rub Rub Rub Shower Scrub, R148 for 330g, with fine sea salt, toning organic lemon juice, and cleansing mimosa absolute
- Best for wet or dry scrubbing: Clicks Bamboo Wood Body Massager, R44,95