It’s time for lighter, brighter versions of best-selling established scents, all the better for the heat of summer. Here’s 5 reasons why you should opt for a fresher fragrance with some of the best summer scents.
1. Our sense of smell diminishes with age, and as a result we often apply more fragrance than needed. This is one good reason why lighter formulations of a favourite classic scent might be a good choice. Their lighter construction means that they’re harder to overdo.
2. Summer “eau” fragrances are not designed to last any more than two to four hours. Expect to reapply once or twice in a day to maintain the aroma. Heat increases the intensity of any aroma, so it’s a good idea to change your fragrance when the weather changes.
3. Citrus and light floral scents like these are more refreshing to the senses and perfect for summer, while warmer, exotic florals, orientals and strong chypres might suit you better come winter.
4. Sunshine and perfume don’t really mix, so limit your application if you’re intending to spend the day outside. The chemicals in most perfumes are photosensitive and may well make your skin irritated. Apply to less exposed areas – to your clothing, the hem of your skirt, your tummy and backs of knees under your clothing. But if you’re on the beach, avoid perfume all day.
5. Lighter scents are even easier to layer with matching shower gels and body lotions, as they’re much more subtle. However, always remember to apply the perfume before the cream, as the oils in creams and lotions will seal the fragrance, making it work better next to your skin.
Try some of our favourite scents:
- DKNY Be Delicious R685 for 100ml, has been made even juicier than its original crisp, appley scent.
- Elle Summer Fragrance by YSL, R435 for 90ml edt, is a more effervescent, fruity version of the original Elle. You can really smell the tingly freshness of ginger and raspberry.
- Prada Infusion D’ Iris , R715 for 50ml, has deliciously fruity notes of orange blossom and iris, turning it into a super-fresh classic cocktail.
- Grapefruit, ylang-ylang, patchouli and watermelon wake up the soft scent of Clarins’ new Eau Ensoleillante, R390 for 100ml.
- In Pure White Linen Light Breeze by Estée Lauder, R795 for 50ml, Darjeeling tea, bergamot, white grapefruit, orange zest and kumquats highlight a new freshness to the neroli and freesia of Pure White Linen.
- Kenzo Amour Indian Holi, R790 for 50ml, is perfect for summer, and symbolic of a festival of love and bright colours, with romantic notes of white tea, rose and cherry blossoms mingled with pink pepper and an oriental base of sandalwood and vanilla.
- If you love Shalimar, you’ll love the way lime, bergamot and orange give a fresh new twist to beloved classic Eau de Shalimar by Guerlain (7), R899 for 50ml.
- Michael Kors Island Capri, R600 for 50ml edp spray, evokes jet-setting in Capri – orange, basil and zingy bergamot mingle with the aroma of the island’s cypress, jasmine, fig and olive.
- Alien Eau Luminescente by Thierry Mugler, R650 for 60ml, has sparkling mandarin for a summery, zesty twist.