What we’re all after: the best beauty hacks to help us look and feel fabulous for the day ahead, with minimal time and effort, right?
Here, we share expert tricks, tips and hacks that guarantee a simple, practical skin and make-up regime – which you can maintain day in and day out. Best of all, these tips are simple and time-efficient, so you can look great without spending hours or money on your beauty regime.
Essential oils are the ultimate multitaskers because they nourish and protect the skin, while providing the perfect canvas for makeup. Clarins Blue Orchid Face Treatment Oil, R615, contains a blend of pure plant extracts to deeply hydrate and illuminate the skin.
Simplify your skincare regime
End the confusion over which product goes on first with our simple, at-a-glance guide…
During the day
- Cleanse: Unless skin’s oily, a splash with warm water should do the trick.
- Treat: Get the most potent products on first – eye cream and serum.
- Hydrate: Moisturise and comfort skin with a day cream.
- Protect: If your moisturiser doesn’t contain SPF, use a facial sunscreen with at least SPF 30.
- Cleanse: Use an oil or balm cleanser and a warm facecloth to gently remove make-up, dirt and oil (you might need a separate eye make-up remover).
- Treat: Get that serum and eye cream out again, and take a few extra minutes to massage them in this time.
- Nourish: Layer on a facial oil and/or moisturiser (you know what your skin likes – a light touch or more-is-more).
- Once a week: Take 30 minutes to perform a proper ritual with exfoliation and a mask. That’s all you need to keep skin looking healthy.
The one thing to conceal glitches…
This technique is foolproof for blemishes, pigmentation and spider veins.
You need a highly-pigmented concealer – try our favourite, Coverderm Concealer, R309. Test it on the skin to get a perfect match. Don’t be tempted to go lighter to brighten, you’ll only highlight the problem. Dab the stick on to the exact area you want to cover, a tiny amount at a time. Don’t rub it around too much, just lightly press in with your fingertips. Build up more as needed.
ALSO SEE: Products that tackle pigmentation
Your capsule make-up kit
Time for a clear-out! Discover the only products you need in your make-up bag now…
Quick question: What percentage of your make-up bag do you actually use? If you’re anything like us, for every essential BB cream, there’s a jazzy gold shadow and gunky gloss; impulse buys that will never have their moment in the sun. It’s time to clear out and create a capsule collection – so what do you really need?
- For your skin, it’s a primer, base (BB cream or foundation – it’s up to you), concealer and powder for oily bits.
- Eyes need no more than mascara, eyeliner, a few neutral shadows, and a brow groomer (gel, pencil, or powder).
- A creamy blush for cheeks in a flatter-all peach is a must.
Add a few moisturising lipsticks, one nude, one red, and a rosy pink, plus a clear lip liner, and you’re done.
Our favourite double duty beauty buys
WBeauty BB Cream, SPF 15, R180, has a lightweight texture that is easy to blend in. This multitasker also hydrates, brightens, targets blemishes and protects the skin.
Estée Lauder Double Wear Stay-In-Place Eye Pencil in Onyx, R445. Line it, smoke it, smudge it, flick it! One end’s the colour, the other’s a smudger – easy.
5 things you don’t need to do
1. Daily hair washing
Natural oils condition hair and give it grip to hold styles. Cut out every second wash and use dry shampoo to freshen up instead.
2. Toning your skin
Unless you have oily skin, toners aren’t essential.
3. Double cleansing
A thorough cleanse before bed is non-negotiable, but repeating it again when you wake up could strip skin. Use just water.
4. Cellulite creams
While some creams claim to help with skin tightness and tone, the fight against “orange peel” cellulite is pretty futile – no cream will make it magically disappear. It takes a combination of a healthy diet, plus regular exercise to reduce the appearance of cellulite.
5. Neck cream
Unless you’re over 50 and have particular concerns around your neck area, your regular face moisturiser will do just fine to moisturise the area.
ALSO SEE: How to anti-age your smile
woman&home has a brand new attitude and offers irresistible inspiration each and every month to our audience. The brand believes that it’s attitude, not age, that matters and we speak to women in a conversational, empowering, inspirational, fun and friendly tone.