Trying to get your summer body back sooner rather than later? Cheat your way to a more toned-looking body with our top tips on how to apply self-tan:
1. If you need to do some hair removal, be sure to get that process out of the way at least one day before you self-tan.
2. Exfoliation is an important part of the self-tan process. Removing dead skin cells will help you have a smoother application.
3. After you’ve rinsed off the product, start to dry your skin sufficiently to avoid streaking the self-tan product. You can wait several minutes to be extra sure.
4. An aloe vera-based moisturiser will help prevent dark patches forming around dry, rough skin like elbows and knees when applied to those areas. It will also be useful when blending out the tan on your hands and feet.
ALSO SEE: Our Top 8 Body Firming Products
5. If you’re a beginner, start with a gradual tan product that will build up over a few days. Using a mousse is another tip for beginners to have a relatively mess-free experience at home.
6. An applicator mitt is a must-have as it will give you a smoother application and protect your palms from staining.
7. For a more controlled application, start with your legs and work your way up.
8. How do you apply to your face? One thing that’s for sure is that you should be extra careful. Mix the product with your moisturiser for a thinner coverage. Or, you can turn to a foundation that’s a shade or two darker to match your face to your body.
9. After an application, avoid showering or exercising for up to 6-8 hours.
10. Remember your SPF! Just because you’re bronzed and beautiful, doesn’t mean you can skimp on sun protection.
Intern Digital editor at woman&home magazine. … Experienced digital editor with a demonstrated history of working in the media production industry.