Try out this recipe from chef Zola Nene for sticky pork ribs
- 125 ml hoisin sauce
- 125 ml apple juice
- 65 ml honey
- 65 ml soy sauce
- 30 ml sesame oil
- 30 ml Sriracha hot sauce
- 10 ml tomato paste
- 30 ml grated fresh ginger
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 10 ml Chinese five-spice powder
- 1 kg rack pork ribs
- Combine the hoisin sauce, apple juice, honey, soy sauce, sesame oil, Sriracha, tomato paste, ginger, garlic and five-spice powder in a bowl.
- Lay the ribs in a shallow oven dish and cover with the sauce. Leave to marinate for at least 1 hour, or preferably overnight.
- When ready to cook, preheat the oven to 180 °C.
- Cover the dish with foil and roast for 1 hour or until the ribs are tender.
- Remove the foil and roast for a further 45 minutes, basting every 15 minutes, until the marinade becomes sticky and coats the ribs.
Extracted from Simply Delicious by Zola Nene (Struik Lifestyle). Photographs: © Penguin Random House South Africa (Pty) Ltd / Dawie Verwey
Follow Zola Nene on Facebook