Stuffed artichokes are so delicious but a bit of a fiddle to prepare until you’ve had some practice! They are great value and super healthy
Cooking Time: 90 minutes
- 4 artichokes (or one per person)
- 1 lemon
- small handful mint, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- slug of olive oil
- white wine, for sauté pan
- To prepare the artichoke, snap off the tough outer dark leaves until you get to the paler ones. Cut about 3cm off the top, trim the stem and peel. Keep rubbing your hands and the artichoke with a cut lemon as you go. Cut off the spiky leaf tops.
- Once you have prepared the artichokes, cut them in half and with a teaspoon, remove the ‘choke’ and discard.
- In that cavity, add some chopped mint, garlic and olive oil. Put them snugly into a sauté pan – you don’t want them to fall over – and add enough white wine mixed with equal quantities of water to come halfway up the artichokes. Add a really good slug of olive oil and some salt. Bring to the boil then simmer for about 1 hour 30 minutes or until tender. Serve hot or at room temperature