A selection of Scandi foods perfect for sharing.
- Ask your fishmonger to cut matching fillets of salmon from two sides of the same fish.
- 200gcaster sugar
- 150g sea salt
- 4tbsp vodka or schnapps
- 3 bunches dill, leaves picked
- 40g black peppercorns
- 2 x 500g salmon fillets, skin on, bones removed
- rye bread, to serve
- 1 large cucumber, peeled, deseeded ?and cut into ribbons
- 1tsp salt
- 2tsp sugar
- 2tbsp white wine vinegar
Potato salad with egg:
- 500g potatoes, diced
- 50g cornichons, sliced
- 100ml mayonnaise
- small bunch spring onions, sliced
- 3 hard boiled eggs, chopped
Apple and beetroot salad:
- 3 Granny Smith apples, cored and sliced
- juice 1 lemon
- 200g vacuum-packed beetroot, sliced
- 2tsp caraway seeds
For the mustard sauce:
- 50ml cider vinegar
- 50g light brown sugar
- 50ml honey
- 100ml Dijon mustard
- 2tbsp sunflower oil
- 1 bunch dill, finely chopped
- For the gravadlax, whizz the caster sugar, salt, vodka and 2 bunches of dill with the peppercorns in a food processor to form a paste. Spread a long piece of clingfilm out on a worktop. Place the salmon on top skin-side down. Rub the paste into the flesh and lay on the remaining dill sprigs. Close the two fillets like a book so that the thick sides each meet a thin side. Wrap tightly in clingfilm and place into a non-metallic dish. Weigh down with a board and tins on top, and leave to cure in the fridge for 4 to 8 hours minimum; 7 to 8 hours if you have time. Drain off the excess liquid that will be drawn out by the salt and turn the salmon twice during this time. The longer it is left, the stronger the flavour and drier the cure.
- To make the pickled cucumber, mix the ingredients together in a serving bowl 2 hours before serving. Chill, then, when ready to serve, drain off the liquid.
- To serve the gravadlax, remove the clingfilm and wash the salmon fillets well under cold water to remove the cure, pat dry with kitchen paper. Then slice thinly at an angle with a fish knife. Serve on a platter with the rye bread.
- To make the potato salad, boil the potatoes until tender, drain, add the remaining ingredients and season well.
- To make the apple and beetroot salad, just mix everything together and season.
- To make the mustard sauce, mix the ingredients in a small jug until smooth. Toss 4tbsp into the apple salad and serve the rest with the salmon.
This article originated on: www.womanandhome.com