Control the heat with this Jan Braai peri peri sauce recipe
Preparation Time: 10 mins
Cooking Time: 30 mins
- 8 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- ½ cup oil
- ½ cup grape vinegar (red or white)
- ½ cup lemon juice
- ½ cup water
- 2 tbsp paprika
- 2 tbsp chilli powder
- 2 tbsp coarse salt
- A few small, hot chillies
We show you how to make peri peri sauce with this South African peri peri sauce recipe. Making homemade peri peri sauce will become your new cooking crush after you give this one a go!
- Put the garlic, oil, vinegar, lemon juice, water, paprika, chilli powder and salt in a glass jar. Close the lid tightly and shake well until the ingredients are mixed and all the salt has dissolved.
- Taste the sauce and start adding chopped fresh chilli to taste. Remember that your guests might like much less heat than you do – I often make two batches of this sauce, one with fewer chillies than the other. Remember not to touch your eyes or any other sensitive parts of your body while making this sauce, as you will burn yourself. As soon as you are finished preparing it, wash your hands thoroughly (and then still be careful).
- This sauce will improve with age and keeps for several weeks in the fridge.
Get your copy of the The Great South African Cookbook for R450 at www.quivertreepublications.com
Sign up and win!
Get our FREE weekly meal planner delivered straight to your inbox when you sign up for Dinner Done & Dusted. Four lucky subscribers stand a chance to win a delicious Mediterranean Delicacies hamper valued at R500. Don’t miss out on all the delicious recipes!
Watch your inbox for 5 quick and easy weekday dinners PLUS a foodie bonus powered by woman&home and Essentials. Check out our terms and conditions here.