Helen and Kate's cabbage pie recipe is believed to have come from their Grandmother, who was Russian
Preparation Time: 25 mins
Cooking Time: 25 mins
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup water or chicken stock
- 1 medium white cabbage, thinly sliced
- 2 leeks, thinly sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 refrigerated pie crusts
- 3 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- 3 tbsp chopped parsley
- milk, for brushing the crust
- Set your oven to a temperature of 175°C; if you are using gas set it to four. Mix your butter and water into a big sauté pan, placing it on a top that is set to a medium/low heat. You can then put in the vegetable and allow it to cook and occasionally give it a stir. This should be done until your vegetables have softened, which should take around 10 minutes. There should still be some bite to the cabbage when you take it off the heat and place it somewhere to cool down.
- Roll out the pie crusts, on a surface coated in flour, making sure that you keep it at a quarter-inch thick. You can then cut out six circles of about half an inch and move them one side.
- When the vegetables are cool, drain them and move them into a large bowl. You can now add in the parsley and eggs before seasoning. Stir up the mixture.
- Add the vegetables evenly on the pastry circles, making sure that they are in the centre of each piece of pastry. The edges of the crust can then be brushed with milk before pinching them together to close the pies.
- Now put your pies onto a baking sheet that has been greased slightly. Use some milk to brush the top of the pies and allow them to bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes. Once they turn a golden brown colour, they will be ready to remove.