Madeira is a classic cake recipe that is simple to make - even for beginners!
- 5 eggs
- 280g caster sugar
- 140g cream
- 3 lemons, zested with a fine grater
- 1 pinch of salt
- 80g unsalted butter, melted
- 250g plain flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
For glazing the cake with lemon & icing sugar
- 3 tbsp Lemon juice
- 150g Icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180°C.
- Lightly grease the loaf tin and line with greaseproof paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, sugar, cream, lemon zest, rum, salt and melted butter.
- Sift the flour and baking powder together, then whisk into the egg mixture until smooth.
- Spoon the mixture into the loaf tin.
- Bake for 50 minutes – 1 hour, turning the tin around halfway through cooking.
- To test the cake, insert a small knife into the middle – if it comes out clean, the cake is cooked.
- Turn out onto a wire rack and leave to cool for 30 minutes.
- Mix the lemon juice with the icing sugar in a small bowl, beat until smooth.
- Brush/ spoon the lemon glaze evenly over the top and let the glaze run down the sides of the cake, leave for a few minutes to set.
- Place the cake on a baking tray in the oven, turn off the heat and leave for 3–5 minutes to dry the glaze – it will become translucent.
- Allow to cool before slicing.