Mackerel is the perfect fish to braai, plus it's a really healthy choice
Preparation Time: 10 mins, plus marinating
Cooking Time: 15 mins
- 4 ultra-fresh mackerel, scaled, gutted and heads removed
- 2 fennel, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 6 oranges, peeled and segmented
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Juice 1 lemon
- First, you need to get the bone out of the mackerel. Slit down the belly with a sharp knife. Put the fish skin side up on a chopping board, flatten it with the back of your hand, then turn it over. Gently pull out the backbone – you’ll be amazed how easily it comes out and snip it off at the tail end. With tweezers or (clean) pliers, remove any remaining bones.
- Brush lightly with oil, season and place on an oiled grill and braai for a few minutes each side or until cooked through.
- Mix together the fennel and orange segments with the olive oil, lemon juice and some seasoning. Serve with the fish.
This article originated on: www.womanandhome.com